Thursday, August 6, 2009

...what I know...

I know this...John Hughes epitomized what my teenage angst was about in a very real way, with the exception of Jake in "Sixteen Candles." He was way to perfect and schwingy for me, which is why I watched that movie over and over. In the movie theater and on my VCR.

"Pretty in Pink" reminded me of me in so many ways...Ducky, oh Ducky, who didn't have a Ducky...who sang Otis Redding no less. I loved that character. I loved Andrew McCarthy's sad sack of a character...I thought he was every boy I had ever dated...which is why I watched that movie over and over. In the movie theater and on my VCR.

I had just moved to Philadelphia (sorry my Pitt women) in 1991 when I saw "Home Alone", and I was so beside myself because it was awesome and I saw it in a theater with many, many people, the most I had ever been with in an entire movie theater, even when I saw "Purple Rain." I laughed and laughed, even when I had nachos spilled on me, and I didn't quite know how to be non-polite, like "excuse me, but could you get your ***** nachos off of me right now."

John Hughes, he was something, remember "Trains, Planes, and Automobiles." I just wanted Mark to come home to me because we were living across the country from each other when this came out, and it so reminded me of our life.

I just wanted to pay homage to a man who I grew up with, and gave me a peace of mind about who I was and what it meant to be me...he made films about me...he could have called me and I would have listened to him...R.I.P. my brother, my friend in movies...

No comments: